Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

March Break Withdrawal


kumarh.wordpress.com/

March break is over but what a week it was. I showed up on my girlfriend's doorstep to work with her daughter especially for the week. Her daughter, is a special needs child with an absolutely beautiful spirit. They lives far away from me but we try to see them several times a year nonetheless.

I have a diploma in social service and have worked with children who are so called "special needs" before. Basically, it was all about having a good time. She is a very capable child but her mom is very protective of her, as is to be expected.

Usually, when I show up, I treat her like the rest of the kids. That means that she's involved in everything. I allow her to feel and be independent by doing for herself. It's different when you are the parent because your emotions keep you from seeing the child's true potential. Her mom loves her dearly and just wants to make sure that everything is taken care of.

As I had my daughter and another son as part of the trio, it was an interesting mix. I took the kids swimming, they learned to make french toast, a yummie smoothie, shopped and snacked from the bulk store, toured and took out books from the library, played in the park and walked near the waterfront. The sunny days that we had just called for outsides activities and that's what we did.

I of course, had fun swinging in the swings at the park, singing along in Lips(singing video like karaoke), laughing at their antics, strolling along on our walks, telling stories and just being with them.

Guess who's the biggest kid who learned something after all? Yep, it's good to let your hair down and play. Say it with me, "play is good", and it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment