Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Single parent

Newborn Baby Jack by hrtmnstrfr flickr

I said this a few blogs ago, hehe, that being a single parent is a tough job. As a single parent you're solely responsible for this little person. The truth of it is that it's really scary. That's my feeling anyway.

You give birth to a little bundle that you love with all of your heart, all of you. There's no love like it. When you're in a relationship with someone you don't think that someday it could all end and you could be on your own. So that's the scary part for me. All the decisions are yours to make unless of course you have joint custody or whatever your particular situation.

The constant worries involve whether you can pay the bills and come out ahead. Some of us single parents are really having a tough time of it. I took a look at the statistics for Canada and it was disheartening to say the least.

There were 1.4 million lone-parent families in 2006 and Eighty percent were headed by women. To sum it all up, women suffer a great deal more as lone parents, essentially because of lower income earnings and a lack of access to child care. In reality they live in poverty.

It's tough but God is my guide. I also happen to have a wonderful extended family and they do so much for me and my kids. That's the only way that I've been able to cope.

Are you having a similar experience? Tell me how you are coping. I'd love to hear what you're doing and how you're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment