Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Swine Flu

There's a lot of talk now about the swine flu.  News reports both online and on tv seem to be preparing us for a big outbreak by scaring us into believing that this outbreak is unstoppable.  They, as in The World Health Organization (WHO), is calling it a pandemic, meaning the government should start making more of the vaccine and do more to contain the virus.

In B.C., in the Aboriginal community, it has hit pretty hard already.  The symptoms include fever,       
lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. Some people with swine flu also have reported runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  This sounds like the regular flu.  How do you tell the difference?  Unlike other strains of the flu, this one is a killer because the immune is very weakened.
 
It's wild thinking about how it's spread.  How did this happen?  Why would pigs get the flu?  It sounds like some crazy experiment gone terribly wrong. 

The best things to do seems to be to avoid those who have a cold like the plague(literally) and wash your hands as often as possible.  Only those who are severely ill will probably receive the vaccine.

I remember when I took a flu vaccine for the first time in my life.  Guess what?  I caught the flu just the same.  Why?  That vaccine only covered a particular strain of the virus. Obviously not the one that I caught.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't take the vaccine.  You have do what is in your best interest.

I am hoping for the best for us all.

2 comments:

  1. Why would pigs get the flu? It sounds like some crazy experiment gone terribly wrong.

    I thought so too hehe ^_^.You are right washing hands always is a must.

    BTW, I saw your favorite books list and I haven't finish reading yet the book Ask & It is Given by Ester and Jerry Hicks (I'm soo excited on reading it) but I've finished their book " The Law of Attraction" ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why either. Go figure.

    That book, Ask and It is Given- gives me goosebumps.

    How's The Law of Attraction working for you?

    ReplyDelete